visit meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of visit at MeaningMonkey.org. visit meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of visit (noun)
- the act of going to see some person or place or thing for a short time
- "he dropped by for a visit"
- a meeting arranged by the visitor to see someone (such as a doctor or lawyer) for treatment or advice
- "he scheduled a visit to the dentist"
- the act of visiting in an official capacity (as for an inspection)
- the act of going to see some person in a professional capacity
- "a visit to the dentist"
- a temporary stay (e.g., as a guest)
- synonyms: sojourn
Definition of visit (verb)
- go to see a place, as for entertainment
- "We went to see the Eiffel Tower in the morning"
- synonyms: see
- go to certain places as for sightseeing
- "Did you ever visit Paris?"
- synonyms: travel to
- pay a brief visit
- come to see in an official or professional capacity
- "The governor visited the prison"; "The grant administrator visited the laboratory"
- synonyms: inspect
- impose something unpleasant
- "The principal visited his rage on the students"
- synonyms: bring down, impose, inflict
- talk socially without exchanging too much information
- "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
- synonyms: chaffer, chat, chatter, chew the fat, chitchat, chit-chat, claver, confab, confabulate, gossip, jaw, natter, shoot the breeze
- stay with as a guest
- "Every summer, we visited our relatives in the country for a month"
- "He was visited with a terrible illness that killed him quickly"
Source: Princeton University Wordnet