Definition of upgrade (noun)
- an upward slope or grade (as in a road)
- software that provides better performance than an earlier version did
- a reservation that is improved
- "I got an upgrade to first class when coach class was full"
- the property possessed by a slope or surface that rises
- hardware that provides better performance than an earlier version did
- the act of improving something (especially machinery) by raising it to a higher grade (as by adding or replacing components)
- "the power plant received a new upgrade"
Definition of upgrade (verb)
- rate higher; raise in value or esteem
- antonym: downgrade
- to improve what was old or outdated
- "I've upgraded my computer so I can run better software"; "The company upgraded their personnel"
- give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
- get better travel conditions
- "I upgraded to First Class when Coach Class was overbooked"
- give better travel conditions to
- "The airline upgraded me when I arrived late and Coach Class was full"
Source: Princeton University Wordnet