Definition of equivocal (adjective)
- open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead
- "an equivocal statement"; "the polling had a complex and equivocal (or ambiguous) message for potential female candidates"; "the officer's equivocal behavior increased the victim's uneasiness"; "popularity is an equivocal crown"; "an equivocal response to an embarrassing question"
- synonyms: ambiguous
- antonym: unambiguous
- open to question
- "aliens of equivocal loyalty"; "his conscience reproached him with the equivocal character of the union into which he had forced his son"-Anna Jameson
- uncertain as a sign or indication
- "the evidence from bacteriologic analysis was equivocal"
Source: Princeton University Wordnet