Definition of equivalent (noun)
- a person or thing equal to another in value or measure or force or effect or significance etc
- "send two dollars or the equivalent in stamps"
- the atomic weight of an element that has the same combining capacity as a given weight of another element; the standard is 8 for oxygen
Definition of equivalent (adjective)
- being essentially equal to something
- "it was as good as gold"; "a wish that was equivalent to a command"; "his statement was tantamount to an admission of guilt"
- synonyms: tantamount
Source: Princeton University Wordnet