Definition of ward (noun)
- a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another
- a district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
- block forming a division of a hospital (or a suite of rooms) shared by patients who need a similar kind of care
- "they put her in a 4-bed ward"
- synonyms: hospital ward
- English economist and conservationist (1914-1981)
- English writer of novels who was an active opponent of the women's suffrage movement (1851-1920)
- United States businessman who in 1872 established a successful mail-order business (1843-1913)
- a division of a prison (usually consisting of several cells)
- synonyms: cellblock
Definition of ward (verb)
- watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
- "guard my possessions while I'm away"
- synonyms: guard
Source: Princeton University Wordnet