Definition of variable (noun)
- something that is likely to vary; something that is subject to variation
- "the weather is one variable to be considered"
- a quantity that can assume any of a set of values
- synonyms: variable quantity
- a star that varies noticeably in brightness
- synonyms: variable star
- a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions to represent a variable quantity
Definition of variable (adjective)
- liable to or capable of change
- "rainfall in the tropics is notoriously variable"; "variable winds"; "variable expenses"
- antonym: invariable
- marked by diversity or difference
- "the varying angles of roof slope"; "nature is infinitely variable"
- synonyms: varying
- (used of a device) designed so that a property (as e.g. light) can be varied
- "a variable capacitor"; "variable filters in front of the mercury xenon lights"
Source: Princeton University Wordnet