Definition of Spartan (noun)
- a resident of Sparta
Definition of Spartan (adjective)
- of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people
- resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity
- "spartan courage"
- unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment
- "a parent severe to the pitch of hostility"- H.G.Wells; "a hefty six-footer with a rather severe mien"; "a strict disciplinarian"; "a Spartan upbringing"
- synonyms: severe
- practicing great self-denial
Source: Princeton University Wordnet