Definition of mortification (noun)
- strong feelings of embarrassment
- the localized death of living cells (as from infection or the interruption of blood supply)
- an instance in which you are caused to lose your prestige or self-respect
- "he had to undergo one humiliation after another"
- synonyms: humiliation
- (Christianity) the act of mortifying the lusts of the flesh by self-denial and privation (especially by bodily pain or discomfort inflicted on yourself)
Source: Princeton University Wordnet