Definition of modern (noun)
- a contemporary person
- a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes
Definition of modern (adjective)
- belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages
- "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric"
- antonym: nonmodern
- relating to a recently developed fashion or style
- characteristic of present-day art and music and literature and architecture
- ahead of the times
- used of a living language; being the current stage in its development
- "Modern English"; "New Hebrew is Israeli Hebrew"
- synonyms: New
Source: Princeton University Wordnet