Definition of mire (noun)
- a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- deep soft mud in water or slush
- "they waded through the slop"
- synonyms: slop
- a difficulty or embarrassment that is hard to extricate yourself from
- "the country is still trying to climb out of the mire left by its previous president"; "caught in the mire of poverty"
Definition of mire (verb)
- "Our people should not be mired in the past"
- synonyms: entangle
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire
- "The mud mired our cart"
- synonyms: bog down
- be unable to move further
- soil with mud, muck, or mire
Source: Princeton University Wordnet