Definition of gazetteer (noun)
- a geographical dictionary or directory used in conjunction with a map or atlas, typically containing information concerning the geographical makeup, social statistics and physical features of a country, region, or continent
- "The gazetteer provided comprehensive information about the geographical features of each country."
- "For their field trip, the students were asked to use the gazetteer to locate various cities and their population statistics."
- "An updated gazetteer can be a useful resource for researchers studying environmental changes in a particular region."
- a journalist who writes for a gazette
Source: Princeton University Wordnet