Definition of extinction (noun)
- no longer active; extinguished
- "the extinction of the volcano"
- no longer in existence
- "the extinction of a species"
- synonyms: defunctness
- the reduction of the intensity of radiation as a consequence of absorption and radiation
- complete annihilation
- "they think a meteor cause the extinction of the dinosaurs"
- synonyms: extermination
- a conditioning process in which the reinforcer is removed and a conditioned response becomes independent of the conditioned stimulus
- synonyms: experimental extinction
- the act of extinguishing; causing to stop burning
Source: Princeton University Wordnet