Definition of excess (noun)
- a quantity much larger than is needed
- immoderation as a consequence of going beyond sufficient or permitted limits
- the state of being more than full
- excessive indulgence
- "the child was spoiled by overindulgence"
- synonyms: overindulgence
Definition of excess (adjective)
- more than is needed, desired, or required
- "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
- synonyms: extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus
Source: Princeton University Wordnet