Definition of believe (verb)
- accept as true; take to be true
- "I believed his report"; "We didn't believe his stories from the War"; "She believes in spirits"
- antonym: disbelieve
- judge or regard; look upon; judge
- be confident about something
- "I believe that he will come back from the war"
- synonyms: trust
- follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer
- "When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
- credit with veracity
- "You cannot believe this man"; "Should we believe a publication like the National Enquirer?"
Source: Princeton University Wordnet