Definition of balsa (noun)
- A tropical American tree (Ochroma pyramidale) notable for its extremely light and buoyant timber.
- "The balsa tree is native to the rainforests of Central and South America."
- "Balsa is renowned for its lightness, making it a popular choice for model airplanes."
- "Due to its buoyant nature, balsa is often used in the construction of life rafts."
- synonyms: Ochroma lagopus
- The light, soft wood of the balsa tree.
- "Balsa wood is easy to carve, making it a favourite among hobbyists."
- "Balsa wood's low density makes it ideal for floatation devices."
- "Despite its lightness, balsa wood has remarkable strength."
- synonyms: balsa wood
Source: Princeton University Wordnet