wake meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of wake at MeaningMonkey.org. wake meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of wake (noun)
- the consequences of an event (especially a catastrophic event)
- an island in the western Pacific between Guam and Hawaii
- synonyms: Wake Island
- the wave that spreads behind a boat as it moves forward
- "the motorboat's wake capsized the canoe"
- synonyms: backwash
- a vigil held over a corpse the night before burial
- "there's no weeping at an Irish wake"
- synonyms: viewing
Definition of wake (verb)
- be awake, be alert, be there
- antonym: catch some Z-s
- stop sleeping
- arouse or excite feelings and passions
- make aware of
- "His words woke us to terrible facts of the situation"
- cause to become awake or conscious
Source: Princeton University Wordnet