wait meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of wait at MeaningMonkey.org. wait meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of wait (noun)
- time during which some action is awaited
- "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- synonyms: delay, hold, postponement, time lag
- the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something)
- "the wait was an ordeal for him"
- synonyms: waiting
Definition of wait (verb)
- stay in one place and anticipate or expect something
- "I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
- wait before acting
- look forward to the probable occurrence of
- serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant
- "I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's"
- synonyms: waitress
Source: Princeton University Wordnet