volunteer meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of volunteer at MeaningMonkey.org. volunteer meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of volunteer (noun)
- (military) a person who freely enlists for service
- synonyms: military volunteer, voluntary
- antonym: conscript
- a person who performs voluntary work
- synonyms: unpaid worker
- a native or resident of Tennessee
- synonyms: Tennessean
Definition of volunteer (verb)
- tell voluntarily
- "He volunteered the information"
- agree freely
- "She volunteered to drive the old lady home"; "I offered to help with the dishes but the hostess would not hear of it"
- synonyms: offer
- do volunteer work
Definition of volunteer (adjective)
- without payment
- "the soup kitchen was run primarily by unpaid helpers"; "a volunteer fire department"
- synonyms: unpaid
Source: Princeton University Wordnet