veil meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of veil at MeaningMonkey.org. veil meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of veil (noun)
- a garment that covers the head and face
- synonyms: head covering
- a membranous covering attached to the immature fruiting body of certain mushrooms
- synonyms: velum
- the inner membrane of embryos in higher vertebrates (especially when covering the head at birth)
- synonyms: caul, embryonic membrane
- a vestment worn by a priest at High Mass in the Roman Catholic Church; a silk shawl
- synonyms: humeral veil
Definition of veil (verb)
- to obscure, or conceal with or as if with a veil
- "women in Afghanistan veil their faces"
- antonym: unveil
- make undecipherable or imperceptible by obscuring or concealing
- "a hidden message"; "a veiled threat"
- synonyms: blot out, hide, obliterate, obscure
Source: Princeton University Wordnet