Definition of variance (noun)
- an event that departs from expectations
- discord that splits a group
- synonyms: division
- the second moment around the mean; the expected value of the square of the deviations of a random variable from its mean value
- a difference between conflicting facts or claims or opinions
- the quality of being subject to variation
- an official dispensation to act contrary to a rule or regulation (typically a building regulation)
- "a zoning variance"
- an activity that varies from a norm or standard
- "any variation in his routine was immediately reported"
- synonyms: variation
Source: Princeton University Wordnet