vanguard meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of vanguard at MeaningMonkey.org. vanguard meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of vanguard (noun)
- the leading units moving at the head of an army
- synonyms: van
- any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts)
- synonyms: avant-garde, new wave, van
- the position of greatest importance or advancement; the leading position in any movement or field
- "the Cotswolds were once at the forefront of woollen manufacturing in England"; "the idea of motion was always to the forefront of his mind and central to his philosophy"
- synonyms: cutting edge, forefront
Source: Princeton University Wordnet