vain meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of vain at MeaningMonkey.org. vain meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of vain (adjective)
- characteristic of false pride; having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
- "a conceited fool"; "an attitude of self-conceited arrogance"; "an egotistical disregard of others"; "so swollen by victory that he was unfit for normal duty"; "growing ever more swollen-headed and arbitrary"; "vain about her clothes"
- synonyms: conceited, egotistic, egotistical, self-conceited, swollen, swollen-headed
- unproductive of success
- "a fruitless search"; "futile years after her artistic peak"; "a sleeveless errand"; "a vain attempt"
- synonyms: bootless, fruitless, futile, sleeveless
Source: Princeton University Wordnet