utility meaning and definitionDefinition and meaning of utility at MeaningMonkey.org. utility meaning and definition in the English Dictionary.
Definition of utility (noun)
- a company that performs a public service; subject to government regulation
- the quality of being of practical use
- synonyms: usefulness
- antonym: inutility
- the service (electric power or water or transportation) provided by a public utility
- "the cost of utilities never decreases"; "all the utilities were lost after the hurricane"
- (economics) a measure that is to be maximized in any situation involving choice
- (computer science) a program designed for general support of the processes of a computer
- "a computer system provides utility programs to perform the tasks needed by most users"
- synonyms: service program, utility program
- a facility composed of one or more pieces of equipment connected to or part of a structure and designed to provide a service such as heat or electricity or water or sewage disposal
- "the price of the house included all utilities"
Definition of utility (adjective)
- used of beef; usable but inferior
- synonyms: utility-grade
- capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team
- "a utility infielder"
- synonyms: substitute
Source: Princeton University Wordnet