Definition of recession (noun)
- the state of the economy declines; a widespread decline in the GDP and employment and trade lasting from six months to a year
- the company bellied up during the economic recession"
- "hundreds of firms went bankrupt during the recession"
- "the country was plunged into recession"
- "the world is only slowly emerging from recession"
- a small concavity
- the withdrawal of the clergy and choir from the chancel to the vestry at the end of a church service
- synonyms: recessional
- the act of ceding back
- synonyms: ceding back
- the act of becoming more distant
- synonyms: receding
Source: Princeton University Wordnet