Definition of name (noun)
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known
- "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- a person's reputation
- "he wanted to protect his good name"
- family based on male descent
- "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- synonyms: gens
- a well-known or notable person
- by the sanction or authority of
- "halt in the name of the law"
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
- synonyms: epithet
Definition of name (verb)
- assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to
- "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- synonyms: call
- give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
- "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- synonyms: identify
- charge with a function; charge to be
- create and charge with a task or function
- mention and identify by name
- "name your accomplices!"
- make reference to
- identify as in botany or biology, for example
- give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of
- "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- synonyms: list
- determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- synonyms: diagnose
Source: Princeton University Wordnet