Definition of mechanism (noun)
- the atomic process that occurs during a chemical reaction
- "he determined unique mechanisms for the photochemical reactions"
- synonyms: chemical mechanism
- the technical aspects of doing something
- "a mechanism of social control"; "mechanisms of communication"; "the mechanics of prose style"
- synonyms: mechanics
- a natural object resembling a machine in structure or function
- "the mechanism of the ear"; "the mechanism of infection"
- (philosophy) the philosophical theory that all phenomena can be explained in terms of physical or biological causes
- device consisting of a piece of machinery; has moving parts that perform some function
Source: Princeton University Wordnet