Definition of essential (noun)
- anything indispensable
Definition of essential (adjective)
- absolutely necessary; vitally necessary
- "essential tools and materials"; "funds essential to the completion of the project"; "an indispensable worker"
- synonyms: indispensable
- basic and fundamental
- "the essential feature"
- antonym: inessential
- of the greatest importance
- being or relating to or containing the essence of a plant etc
- "essential oil"
- defining rights and duties as opposed to giving the rules by which rights and duties are established
Source: Princeton University Wordnet