Definition of chance (noun)
- a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
- "the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"; "now is your chance"
- synonyms: opportunity
- an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
- a risk involving danger
- "you take a chance when you let her drive"
- a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
- "the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5"
- synonyms: probability
- the possibility of future success
- "his prospects as a writer are excellent"
- synonyms: prospect
Definition of chance (verb)
- be the case by chance
- "I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
- take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with
Definition of chance (adjective)
- occurring or appearing or singled out by chance
- "seek help from casual passers-by"; "a casual meeting"; "a chance occurrence"
- synonyms: casual
Source: Princeton University Wordnet