Definition of chafe (noun)
- soreness and warmth caused by friction
- "he had a nasty chafe on his knee"
- anger produced by some annoying irritation
Definition of chafe (verb)
- become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
- feel extreme irritation or anger
- "He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation"
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
- tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading
- "This leash chafes the dog's neck"
- synonyms: excoriate
- cause friction
- warm by rubbing, as with the hands
Source: Princeton University Wordnet