Definition of anathema (noun)
- Someone or something that is vehemently disliked.
- "To the environmentalist, the gas-guzzling SUV is an anathema."
- "His ideas were an anathema to those who believe in social equality."
- "Despite its popularity, modern art remains an anathema to some."
- synonyms: bete noire
- A formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church, excommunicating a person or denouncing a doctrine.
- "The act of selling indulgences was declared anathema by the church reformers."
- "The pope issued an anathema, severing the heretic from the church."
- "The doctrines of the sect were branded as anathema."
Source: Princeton University Wordnet